North Notts & Lincs Community Rail Partnership
Trains serving Shireoaks operate between Lincoln and Sheffield and Sheffield and Cleethorpes.
Shireoaks station is adjacent to the Chesterfield canal
completed in 1777 and ran from Chesterfield through Worksop and Retford
to join the river Trent at West Stockwith. It remained in commercial
use to 1949 carrying coal, stone,agricultural products and
Perhaps the most famous cargo carried on the canal was
quarried stone for the rebuilding of the Palace of Westminster in the
Turn right out of the station and right again to walk
the tow path to
Kiveton or left to walk the tow path past the marina to Worksop.
Shireoaks village has a long terrace of miners cottages built by the Duke of Northumberland in 1864 to serve the coal mine on land adjacent to the marina, where barges were loaded with coal to be sent down the canal to the River Trent.
For information about the canal visit the Chestefield Canal Trust.
The River Ryton runs at the far end of the village street.
Shireoaks Pit Top
Following the closure of Shireoaks Colliery, the tip was transformed into woodland and grassland, and a network of public paths was created. Part of the site was designated as a Local Wildlife Site in 2012. From the top there are unrivalled views of Sherwood Forest, the Trent valley and into Derbyshire.
The Pit Top is reached by turning right out of the
station, cross the road, and descending on to the canal towpath.
At Shireoaks Middle Lock turn left on to National Cycleway No .6 then
right into Marina Drive.The Pit Top is reached by turning left into
Woodlands and following the path to a signpost pointing right to the